Fishing boat in Ha Long Bay

Thursday, September 25, 2008

Motorbike ride and visit to Go Vap orphanage.

Up until today, we traveled everywhere in a van or small SUV. The CHI representative told me yesterday to meet in the lobby at 8:30 a.m. to go pick up Sarah's passport. When we applied for them, one parent of each child went to the government office, so I expected to see the other parents there and we would be going in the van again. Well, I arrived in the lobby and met up with the rep. As we went outside I asked if our ride was already there. He said yes and pointed to his motorbike. So off we went to get the passports. I expected it to be much worse than it was and I actually felt more comfortable on the bike than riding in the van. There was one spot though where we were between two buses going in opposite directions and the one to our right was close enough that I could have reached out and touched it if I was so inclined. I was not.

We visited Go Vap orphanage today where Sarah was cared for for a short time before being moved to her permanent orphanage where she had lived for nearly 4 years. We visited the infant room and were able to hold some very young children who had just arrived at the orphanage recently.

It's almost 10:30 p.m. now and I need to get to bed. I'll add more photos to this one tomorrow, including some nice baby photos.
A Vietnamese soldier stands guard outside the French consulate in Ho Chi Minh City(Saigon).

Fresh fruit is available all over the city. Don't worry Georgeanne, there is plenty for you to eat over here.
The infant room at Go Vap.
Kelly wanted to take them all home. Our CHI rep. said most of the babies in the room have already been matched with adoptive parents.
This is the same little guy as the next photo.Sarah lets this little guy hold her finger while she reaches in the crib to touch his cheek.



Isaac tried to give all the babies some attention. There were about 30 in this room.
No words needed.
Walking to another building of Go Vap.
The entrance to Go Vap.
A small fruit stand on the street.
This little guy was so cute. Note the chair they are setting him in. We were parked in the van at this time and after the boy was in his seat, he noticed me and we were waving at each other. I wanted to take a photo of him waving, but didn't want his parents to think of me as a goofy tourist snapping photos. ;-)Probably too late for that.
Ni Ni gives ba a kiss on the cheek. If she does that, you have to give her one too and vice versa.
Kelly didn't even realize Isaac was being a goof until we had the photos on the laptop.
Kelly and Sarah had a fun photo shoot while Isaac and I went swimming with another family. The other family adopted a 9-month-old boy this trip. Their almost 9-year-old daughter was adopted from Vietnam when she was only 2 1/2-months-old.


6 comments:

LaLa said...

Awww..I bet you saw my son. He is in the infant room at GoVap : ) We hope to travel by November.

Your daughter is so beautiful!!

Dawn said...

OMG ~ That last picture is just too beautiful!!

Jenni Shoemaker said...

Just beautiful. The pictures are great - brought back lots of memories of when we were there in 2006. Kate spent the first 2 years of her life at Go Vap.
Sarah looks wonderful and oh, so happy - so do you guys. A match made in heaven!!!!!!
Have fun and enjoy your trip!
Jenni Shoemaker

Anonymous said...

Holey crepe. Keith's going to have to take one for the team on motorbike day. I'll take out extra insurance on him before we go.

Y'all look like you're having the time of your lives. Still wishing I was there with you guys!

MemberNYPD said...

Yeah but that Dragon-fruit (spiney looking creature like FRUIT) scared me!!

How are pizza, rice, watermelon?????? Thanks for including me...it's kewl to see my name in lights! ;-)

Stevens Family said...

Love all the pics! That last little baby at the orphanage reminded me so much of my daughter; she was such a wounded little bird at first.