Fishing boat in Ha Long Bay

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A day of fun at the Mekong Delta.

We visited the Mekong Delta yesterday and saw the many uses of coconuts. We sampled the coconut candy made by the locals and bought some candy and coconut soap. I have many more photos to upload but the connection has been sporadic this morning making things difficult. I'll get some more uploaded later. Sarah is still doing great. She is repeating English words we're introducing to her and is just so eager to learn about anything new.
Heading out for a day on the Mekong Delta.
I'm not sure what this person was hauling.
Working in the rice paddy.
Nap time on the way to the delta.
Sarah looked at our photo album as we rode to the Mekong Delta.
Sarah loves to play with my sunglasses. If I have them hanging on the front of my shirt, she'll take them off, open them, wear them for just a few seconds to get a reaction from us, then she takes them off, folds them back up and puts them back on my shirt.
Our guide speaks to Sarah in Vietnamese.
A fish farm in the river.
We never knew there are so many uses for coconut. This man removes the outside layer, which can be used to fuel the fire that they use to cook the candy.
You can see the pile of shell used to heat the candy.
Isaac watches as the lady prepares some coconut candy for cutting and packaging.
This new bridge will open next year.
Isaac hands some food to a Gibbon.
Checking out a monkey.
Sarah holding the hand of our CHI representative. They are very close and Sarah is really attached to her.
There was a wide variety of flowers on Unicorn Island.


Sarah samples some of the fragrances of the island.
Sarah with her tea cup.
Sarah tries a rambutan.
While on Unicorn Island, we sampled a variety of fruit, including, (clockwise from top-center), pineapple, grapefruit, bananas, rambutan and dragon fruit. The center bowl is salt and ground chiles that Vietnamese dip sweet fruit in to balance the taste.
A rambutan half peeled. It is sweet and delicious.

Isaac tries the python on for size.
Sarah watches as Isaac has the python on placed on his shoulders. She wasn't too thrilled with the snake.
The python didn't want to stay in front for a photo with me.
Sarah didn't like it, but she tolerated me(mom) having the snake on her for a short time.
Another pretty flower.
Pineapple plant.
Trying a piece of one type of coconut candy.
The snakes roll right off your head with this hat on.
Rowing in the delta.

The boat we took to Unicorn Island.
The new bridge under construction is scheduled to be opened in January 2009.
We were served coconut juice on the boat ride back from the island.

On the way back from the delta, we stopped at a street-side sandwich cart and tried a local "Subway". It was good and they were 8,000 dong each, which is about 50-cents.
The vendor cuts the pork for our sandwichs.
How did the chicken cross the road?
Ducks on a bike.
One-handed driving in this kind of traffic definitely takes some skill.
Dropped his load of foam rubber. That has to be frustrating.
This cute guy actually has a metal frame to keep him in place. Haven't seen that too often.
Another one-handed driver.

9 comments:

Stevens Family said...

Great pics. Looks like you all are having such a wonderful time enjoying Vietnam. Such a beautiful country!

Positively Orphaned said...

Great pictures! Funny how the child doesn't have a helmet on, but the parent does! Oh, well. Looks like everyone is having a great time sightseeing.

Anonymous said...

Thoughts:

1-Sarah really is so beautiful!
2-If it's true about the snakes, I'm going to need a much bigger hat.
3-It's amazing what those guys/gals manage to get on those bikes.
4-At least a buck is worth something somewhere still.

I'm enjoying your updates. Keep 'em coming!

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family! Sarah looks perfect with you all! Looking at your photos brings back so many memories of our journey to Vietnam almost two years ago. I'm so thrilled Sarah is adapting so smoothly. I know how you feel about being so blessed by this new family member - people used to tell us Kennison was lucky, but I never felt that way; if she hadn't been adopted by us, it would have been someone else. God knew - only He knew - that she was the perfect fit for our family, and not a day goes by when I don't thank him for our miracle. I'm sure you feel the same way, about both your children. I love reading your journey and I'm so glad you finally got the call to go get your beautiful daughter! I will continue to check for updates! My prayers for safe and uneventful flights home are being sent your way!

MemberNYPD said...

So tell me about the food. How is it? Did you drink any snake wine? I'm very 'funny' about what I eat and from where I eat it. I think I am going to have a hard time eating in VN. First off, I don't eat any meat..........

Keep safe.

Georgeanne

Lennah and Delylah's mom said...

It looks like everyone is bonding so well. I am glad everyone is having a great time.
Cathy

MemberNYPD said...

Oh yeah, you didn't kill that snake, did you? I know you and your hunting.... (no comment, bad Georgeanne, bad)

G&K said...

No, I didn't kill the snake, but there were a lot of belts and wallets for sale that looked very familiar.

MemberNYPD said...

Ok, the wallet/belt comment was NOT NICE!!!!!!! But since you attached an Angel's face to the comment, I can't 'git ya' right now. When you least expect it..............expect it!

Have a blast.