Fishing boat in Ha Long Bay

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

DELAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me while I wrap my head in duct tape to prevent it from exploding. This is always a necessary requirement when I'm talking about the government.

When I made yesterday's post, I never imagined another government agency would give our local government a run for their money, but..... Especially this line, "A minute amount of Governmentium can cause a reaction that would normally take less than a second to take from four days to four years to complete."

I didn't think anyone could top the feelings I have for government inefficiency and bureaucrats but USCIS in Vietnam has managed to do it. The officer in charge over there told our agency's program director in July that they have no way of accepting payments any longer and a fee we have to pay could be paid at the US embassy during our VISA appointment.

I contacted our program director yesterday after another family received very quick approval of their I-600. I then emailed the U.S. adoption unit in Vietnam. They responded that since the fee wasn't paid, our paperwork had been put on hold.

Of course they didn't say when it was put on hold, they didn't say if they were ever going to notify us it had been put on hold so we could pay it, they simply said it was on hold until they receive the fee. So we are definitely looking at WEEKS more of waiting.

As Gina said a couple months ago, TODAY SUCKS!!!!!!


Late entry:
The day improved somewhat with the arrival of some new photos of Sarah. The little boy sneaking into the photo sure is a cutey.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What??? What is this fee? I had no idea there was a fee assoiciated with the I-600 application and as far as I know we haven't paid one.

G&K said...

It's not for the I-600 but a related form that must be processed for our specific case before the I-600 can be approved.

Baby N's Mom said...

Is it totally government bureaucracy & inefficiency or the lack of follow through/up on the agency side? Yes, the goverment is a bunch of yahoo's, but I'm beginning to think the agency is the same. Sorry for the downer post.

Anonymous said...

It makes me sick. I can't believe no one even bothered to tell you. I hope the payment can be sent quickly, a phone call can be made, and your case can be approved ASAP. That's my prayer for you guys.

G&K said...

Our response from USCIS stated:
"It clearly stated on the receipt that most determinations will be
completed in 60 working days. Additional days for review may be required by this office & would be notified to the prospective adoptive parents. You should contact this office again if the 60 working days have passed."

Then they went on to tell us it was on hold. USCIS doesn't normally give updates and obviously doesn't want to be bothered until the 60 working days have passed. This is totally on USCIS. They should have informed us or our agency when they put it on hold.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. I cannot imagine what you are going through.